Meet Candidates for WJEA Board

voting+graphic

Elections for the WJEA Board are happening in May 2020. Here are the candidates running for office. Information about voting and ballots will be announced later in April. Watch your mailboxes and inboxes moving forward.

President

Anne Hayman

Anne Hayman

I’m a journalism adviser and English teacher who is the whole program adviser. I want other advisers, especially those who are THE department/program, to discover and take advantage of their colleagues around the state. Additionally, I want those advisers and their students to find their voice. My goal is to increase membership and involvement in the state’s journalism association/programs.

Vice President

Scott Collins

Headshot of Scott Collins

Hi, my name is Scott Collins, and I advise the yearbook, middle school newspaper and high school newspaper at University Prep in Seattle. I’ve previously advised broadcast classes, too, and I worked as a local TV news producer before I got into teaching. My goal as WJEA vice president would be to build off the success of my predecessors to support student journalists across the state. My hope is to increase membership through outreach and enhance WJEA’s current offerings based off of best practices other state journalism organizations throughout the country.

Anna Ferdinand

Headshot of Anna Ferdinand

As a journalism adviser for The Cub newspaper at Sedro-Woolley High School, my passion is in helping students find their own power in telling the stories around them. WJEA has been foundational in providing a space for professional growth as a journalism educator as well as for my students through camps, J-day and state competitions towards that goal.  As a recipient of a WJEA’s new adviser scholarship five years ago, I can say WJEA has been foundational in providing a sense of community and support in my time as adviser to The Cub. My aim is to make sure that in this time where clear information is essential, that we continue to provide these services to students and teachers throughout the state, as well as find ways to ensure WJEA remains central to journalism programs throughout the state and beyond. (I would love to see us work towards CTSO status via OSPI, but I don’t know enough about the current status, or necessity as I am aware that equivalency CTSO status works just fine.)

Secretary

Teresa Scribner

Headshot of Teresa Scribner

I have been involved with WJEA since 2011. As secretary, I will commit to attending as many meetings as possible to ensure accurate records. I have experience as secretary, having served on Cleveland’s PTSA for seven years and as secretary for one. My vision for WJEA is that we recruit more members to become active with the organization. We are only as strong as those who commit to serve.

Chris Twombley

Headshot of Chris Twombley

Twombley has been teaching English at MIHS for 22 years and has served as The Islander’s adviser for the last six. Last year he was the recipient of WJEA’s Adviser of the Year and the Fern Valentine Freedom of Expression Awards. Outside the classroom, Twombley enjoys travel, exploring nature, going to concerts and spending time with his family and friends. I am grateful to WJEA and its members for the support and encouragement I’ve received since I began teaching journalism. I’ve had the privilege to do some cool things in my teaching career, but by far the coolest is helping my students find their voices. My desire to serve on the board is to give back to an organization that has given me and my students so much.

Treasurer

Sandra Coyer

Headshot of Sandra Coyer

Over the course of the past 21 years, I have been the media adviser at Puyallup High School. I advise the Viking Vanguard newspaper and online, as well as Viking Student Media Broadcast program. I began working with WJEA my very first year advising and by year four was a Board member, first as secretary, then as vice president and finally as WJEA President, a position I held for two terms. WJEA has provided me with so much over the course of the past 21 years as an educator—the knowledge and confidence regarding scholastic press rights, a network of journalism advisers who have become dear friends, and a wealth of opportunities through various camps and conferences to continue to be a life-long learner, one reason I became a teacher. I fundamentally believe that the power of WJEA comes from the collaboration of its members. We are strongest when we are working together, with our unique talents, to improve scholastic journalism in our state. That is my goal, to continue reaching out to our members and the students of our members, to increase opportunities to collaborate and get involved.