The WJEA State Journalist of the Year could be YOU!

Applications are now available for the 2020 State Journalist of the Year Award and Robin Morris Scholarship for $2,000.

WJEA’s Student Journalist of the Year winner will be the Washington state entry in the national Journalism Education Association’s “Sister Rita Jeanne High School Journalist of the Year” scholarship competition. WJEA will enter the Washington state winner’s online portfolio and application materials to the national committee for judging. The national winner will be announced at the JEA/NSPA national spring convention in April. Top national award is $3,000 in scholarship funds. Runners up are each awarded $850 scholarships.

The Washington state winner will be announced on March 7, 2020, during the WJEA Spring Conference Awards Ceremony at Mercer Island High School . The winner will receive the Robin Morris Scholarship for $2,000 regardless of whether he/she earns an award at the national level.

ENTRY CRITERIA

1. Applicant is a graduating high school senior.
  2. Applicant has participated in student media for at least two years.
  3. Applicant has earned a 3.0 GPA minimum on a 4.0 scale.
  4. Adviser is a current WJEA and JEA member.
  5. Applicant has submitted an online portfolio according to JEA guidelines.

REQUIRED MATERIALS

JEA and WJEA now require all portfolios to be submitted online only; no hard copies accepted. To prepare a portfolio, follow the national portfolio guidelines EXACTLY as described on the JEA National Journalist of the Year official application site. See the links on the right sidebar of the JEA JOY page for further information about how to create an online portfolio and to view samples and judging rubrics.

Important note: If you are also applying for WJEA’s Journalist of the Year award, make sure the portfolios are separate and the links to each are clear and submitted separately.

You also must email the following documents as attachments to WJEA J.O.Y Chair, Annie Green, by February 15, 2020, to annie.green@sno.wednet.edu:

1. Attached Entry Form
  2. A high school transcript or a counselor’s statement including journalism classes taken, grades and current GPA (PDF of 2MB or less)
  3. Two photos: An action photo of applicant involved in some aspect of student media and a head/ shoulders shot (JPG of 1MB or less)
  4. Three letters of recommendation from those who know the applicant well and understand the impact of the journalistic experience on the student’s life (each a PDF of 2MB or less)
  5. Current resume (PDF of 2MB or less)
  6. Self-analytical essay (PDF of two pages or less and 2MB or less.)

Full application for WJEA 2020 J.O.Y Award/Robin Morris Scholarship is available at this link:  Fillable Form WJEA JOY award 2020.