Mountlake Terrace senior named Washington state’s Journalist of the Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

Annika Prom is the co-Editor-in-Chief of the Hawkeye at Mountlake Terrace High School.

Joy Lessard

The Washington Journalism Education Association announced that Mountlake Terrace High School senior Annika Prom was named the 2019 Journalist of the Year. She was recently awarded a $2000 scholarship by WJEA Executive Director Kathy Schrier.

Prom has been involved in the Mountlake Terrace journalism program for four years as a member of The Hawkeye and in the school’s broadcast and social media outlets. She currently serves as the editor of the newspaper and according to her adviser, Vince DeMiero, “She is the kind of young journalist our democracy needs more than ever.”

She submitted a portfolio to WJEA that featured examples of her writing, photography, page layouts and online submissions. Prom’s sample of work featured stories on the issues of how lunches were distributed to students who no longer had funds in their lunch accounts and a feature on the back story of the mural at a local elementary school  It was an excellent way to highlight a community treasure. Some of her graphic page designs include spreads on the CTE program, a feature on athletes training for spring sports and  stories about interesting students at MTHS.

Prom’s portfolio has been submitted to the Journalism Education Association for consideration for the national Journalist of the Year award that will be presented at the JEA convention in Anaheim, CA, in April.