WJEA

Summer camp registration opens; register now for July 31-Aug. 3

STUDENT and ADVISER MAJOR SESSION CHOICES

You’ve got a ‘Major’ Decision to make!

Registration STUDENTS Fillable WWU 2018

Registration ADVISERS Fillable WWU 2018

Just like in college where you choose a Major, that’s what you do at our workshop, our ever-evolving curriculum is presented by some of the top instructors and advisers in the country. So, no matter which Major track you choose, you’re going to learn a great deal and get plenty of attention. We believe in learning-by-doing, so look over the options below and choose the Major that will best fit your personal needs and goals. Please note that all Major sessions (except just two*) are open to student journalists and journalism educators alike. After all, we’re all in this to learn about producing great scholastic journalism. Have questions or want help choosing the best Major for you? Contact program director, Vince DeMiero: WJEApastpresident@gmail.com

ON YOUR REGISTRATION FORM, PLEASE INDICATE FIRST AND SECOND MAJOR SESSION CHOICES BY NUMBER

1 Intro to Journalism Boot Camp

New to journalism? This is your Major! You’ll cover just about everything you need to know for a successful start in student media. Learn the basics of journalistic writing, including interviewing, reporting, AP style, story structure and how to write news and feature stories. Other key topics are also covered in this amazing intro to journalism crash course. Recommended for those who are new to publications staff and/or those with limited journalistic writing experience.

2  Editorial Leadership (*students only)

This Major is designed for students who will be in a leadership position on a newspaper, yearbook, news website, broadcast or magazine staff. This session focuses on building leadership and editorial skills, setting goals, designing effective news coverage, staff management, teamwork and conflict resolution. Prerequisite: At least one semester experience on a student media staff. Note: Students who have attended this session before or who have been an editor for at least a year should indicate so on their registration form. Additional leadership opportunities may be provided to repeat attendees.

Journalistic Story-telling

Most school publications, websites and broadcasts are full of features in many formats. This Major will further develop the writing abilities of those who have had a beginning journalism (writing) course or who have experience on a publication staff by exploring the varieties of feature writing. Interviewing, copy editing and AP style are also addressed. Instructors may reassign students at the workshop. Be prepared to write on short deadlines.

Photojournalism / Video Storytelling

All aspects of being an effective, competent and ethical photojournalist are covered in this limited-enrollment Major session. To best serve our attendees, we’ve broken this session into two parts:

Beginning

Novices will concentrate on basic digital camera operation, technique and lighting. Managing digital files, working with editors and reporters, ethics and other issues related to photojournalism will also be addressed.

Advanced

This session will review camera operation, but will spend the majority of time perfecting exemplary photojournalism techniques as well as using Adobe Photoshop.

NOTE: Participants in this Major should bring the digital camera they will use during the school year, connection cables and adequate storage media. Additional information will be sent prior to the workshop.

Digital News Management

This Major is aimed at helping publications make the move online. Participants will create a WordPress site from scratch and develop processes for managing the content of an online publication. By the end of the session, participants will have the opportunity to get a basic site up and running and looking good at little or no cost. While no prior coding or WordPress knowledge is needed, participants should have a solid understanding of their publication with regard to establishing a web presence. Other digital tools and social media connections will be addressed.

Graphic Design

Learn the classical principles of graphic design as well as some cutting edge trends in this Major. Also, learn about packaging information, about creating infographics, and about using color and fonts well. Attendees will work in a computer lab as well with pencil and paper.

InDesign for Publications

Beginning InDesign

This Major focuses on basic graphic design and layout concepts for all types of print publications. The majority of work focuses on using InDesign to layout pages for newspaper, newsmagazine, yearbook or literary publications. Topics include: formatting text, headlines, and captions; placing and formatting graphics; and basic tricks to make InDesign more productive. Designed for participants who have little or no experience with InDesign.

Advanced InDesign

Participants move beyond the basic functions listed in the Beginning Major and explore InDesign’s many palettes and advanced text handling. Attendees may also use Photoshop for photos and graphics. A solid working knowledge of InDesign is prerequisite.

NOTE: These sessions are hands-on in state-of-the art labs. Depending on availability, sessions may be taught using either Apple or Windows operating systems. Differences between platforms are slight, and instructors will provide information for both formats when they differ. Due to lab space, enrollment is limited to just two students and one adviser per school.

Advising Student Media (*educators only)

Feeling overwhelmed? Need to recharge your advising batteries? We’ll take care of you with morning and afternoon refreshments and networking time as you become part of our great network of advisers! Come and learn from some of the top veteran journalism educators in the country. While we have a great established curriculum, we also want you to come with your concerns and questions so we can address your specific needs. Advisers are asked to bring a laptop and a flash drive, if possible. And, of course, clock hours are available at an incredibly reasonable price.

Adviser Options

Choose either the Novice or Experienced Adviser session –

Novice (fewer than three years advising)

Whether you need a “boot camp” to prep for the new year or a creative kick start, we’ll provide curriculum ideas, tips on staff management and legal matters, technology, motivation, grading, fund-raising – and lots of handouts and digital files. In addition to information and materials, you’ll establish a lasting network of fellow advisers who with be there with a helping hand throughout the school year. That’s the WJEA way of working together!

Experienced (three or more years advising)

Topics are developed in part based on your specific needs. Here’s you’ll build on existing skills by learn about journalism, but also by doing journalism. In the world of 21st century media, we know you need to help your students become well-rounded and skilled in an increasingly complex, technology rich environment. So, we’ve created a program focused on convergence advising for team coverage and packaging. Bring your smartphone, laptop and DSLR camera, if possible!

Or, attend one of the other Major Sessions along with student participant (except for the editorial leadership Major) This option is for experienced advisers who have attended the workshop in the past. You may prefer to observe one or more student Major sessions so you can glean instructional and curricular ideas from our expert staff. Details for this option will be worked out with our Experienced Adviser facilitator on the first day of the workshop.

Here are the links to online registration: