WJEA

Puyallup senior named Washington Journalist of the Year

Joy Lessard

The Washington Journalism Education Association announced that Puyallup High School senior Haley Keizur was named the 2018 Journalist of the Year at the annual state write-off competition on March 10.  She was awarded the $2000 Robin Morris Memorial Scholarship and her portfolio will be submitted to the national Journalism Education Association for consideration for national recognition..

Keizur has been involved in the journalism program for three years and is a member of both the newspaper publication and social media productions at Puyallup High School and serves as the editor of the Viking Vanguard.  She submitted a portfolio that featured examples of her writing, photography and page layouts.

Her adviser, Sandra Coyer, said in her nomination letter that Keizur “is a champion for student voice” and recently testified before the Washington Legislature promoting the adoption of the New Voice bill.  According to Coyer, “She is an advocate for the First Amendment and leads the staff in developing their responsibility to the audience to report what they need to know, want to know and should know.”  

The national Journalist of the Year award will be presented at the convention in San Francisco on April 15.