WJEA

Filed under #WJEACamp, WJEA News

WJEA Summer Workshop 2018 registration opens April 15

Join us at Western Washington University overlooking the scenic San Juan Islands and spend four days immersed in exemplary journalism. Whether you’re a novice student reporter, a senior editor, a veteran educator or a first year-adviser, our caring staff and innovative curriculum will meet your needs.

Student J-Camp

Students choose one “major” session: Beginning Journalism Bootcamp; Editorial Leadership Challenges; InDesign (beg./adv.); Graphic Design; Video and Photo Journalism; Online Journalis; Journalistic Storytelling

Summer 2018 will feature a real-world simulation, culminating in a story package created by each team of students.

Sessions are taught by experienced educators; classroom assistance and dorm supervision by recent univeristy graduates and current journalism majors. Student to adult ratio: 10:1.

Cost $375, includes all meals, housing (2 per rm/3 nts) and all class materials.

Adviser Workshop

Intensive session for beginning media advisers provides all the resources and curriculum needed to be successful from the very beginning.

Experienced advisers participate in a guided seminar with observation opportunities in student major sessions.

Cost: $475 (single room) includes all meals and materials.

ONLINE REGISTRATION OPENS APRIL 15.

2018 WJEA Summer Expert in Residence, Michelle Coro is a certified Journalism educator who advises multimedia programs by encouraging students to explore areas of Writing, Videography, Digital Photography and Technology. She believes in possibilities and embraces the idea that trying something different is never far from reach. Michelle earned her bachelor’s degree in Broadcast Journalism from the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism at Arizona State University and a master’s degree in Education Technology from the University of Phoenix. She trained as a professional journalist in both broadcast and print media before becoming an educator emphasizing convergent journalism.

As a high school media advisor, Michelle is a consultant for numerous workshops and seminars, an Arizona Adviser of the year, a board member of the Arizona Interscholastic Press Association Board, and the National Scholastic Press Association, a participant the Journalism Education Association and a founding member of Scholastic Journalism Institute (SJI). Married to Paul Coro, one of the leading sports journalists in the nation, the college sweethearts have two beautiful, talented and highly active daughters, Jasmine and Maya, as well as a parakeet, Chiquita, and an adorable Cocker Spaniel (follow him on insta Chai_coro). In her spare time, Coro is a creative media entrepreneur, enjoys reading, walking intervals through her neighborhood, smelling flowers and perfume, sorting through her ridiculous number of shoes and earning high scores on “Bejeweled.”

“I’m busy and blessed!” is Coro’s mantra.