WJEA

Back by popular demand

Broadcast students are eligible to submit work for the 2018 WJEA State Conference Write-offs.

Broadcast students from across the state of Washington are eligible to submit videos in one of three categories as part of the write-off contests at the state conference.

Students can compete in Broadcast News, Broadcast Feature or Broadcast Sports categories. These all have a submission deadline of Feb. 15 in order to be judged prior to the conference. Participating students would need to attend a two-hour critique session during the write-off time at the conference.

Submissions will be made online via a Form on the WJEA Website.
Students would upload the video to a site, such as YouTube or Vimeo, and then e-mail/share that link via the online form prior to the conference (Feb. 15 deadline). The videos would then be sent to two-three judges who would evaluate each one with an online fillable PDF document.

Students attend an on-site critique of their work, moderated by one of the judges.

Broadcast News Story:

Students enter as individuals or in pairs (reporter and camera operator). Total Running Time (TRT) 1:30 to 2:00 minutes. A package is a prerecorded news story containing (usually) a reporter’s voice-over, videotaped shots and sound bites. The story must have been broadcast at school or in the community during the 2017-2018 academic school year and may include an introduction or outro (tag) done by an anchor but it, too, must have been broadcast.

WHAT THE JUDGES WILL LOOK FOR

Adherence to broadcast style (short sentences, present tense, conversational, clear). Contains all the necessary information and exhibits news judgment. Video sound bites are well-shot close-ups, relevant and interesting. A variety of shots are used and are steady and in focus. Editing is free of glitches and jump cuts, and natural sound is used effectively. Overall, the script and video complement each other, telling the story in an interesting and informative manner. The voice-over is effective and delivered with clarity. Time limit is met + or – 3 seconds.

Broadcast Feature Story:

Students enter as individuals or in pairs (reporter and camera operator). Total Running Time (TRT) 2:00 to 4:00 minutes. A package is a prerecorded sports story containing a reporter’s voice-over, videotaped shots and sound bites. The story must have been broadcast at school or in the community during the 2017-2018 academic school year. It may include an introduction or outro (tag) done by an anchor but it, too, must have been broadcast.

WHAT THE JUDGES WILL LOOK FOR

A broadcast feature story is one that covers people, art or culture. This may include profiles, reviews or other stories related to community events, figures or places.

Adherence to broadcast style (short sentences, present tense, conversational, clear). Contains all the necessary information and provides a new perspective. Video sound bites are well shot close-ups, relevant and interesting. A variety of shots are used, steady and in focus. Editing is free of glitches and jump cuts, and natural sound is used effectively. Overall, the script and video complement each other, telling the story in an interesting and informative manner. The voice-over is effective and delivered with liveliness and clarity. Time limit is met + or – 3 seconds.

Broadcast Sports Story:

Students enter as individuals or in pairs (reporter and camera operator). Total Running Time (TRT) 1:30 to 2:00 minutes. A package is a prerecorded sports story containing a reporter’s voice-over, videotaped shots and sound bites. The story must have been broadcast at school or in the community during the 2017-2018 academic school year. It may include an introduction or outro (tag) done by an anchor but it, too, must have been broadcast.

WHAT THE JUDGES WILL LOOK FOR

Broadcast sports news stories are timely stories that address serious topics related to athletics. For example, these may include investigative reports about facilities, drug use, injuries, budgets, scholarships, rules and regulations, etc.

*Contests are modeled after the JEA Broadcast Write-off contests.

Broadcast-2018- (1) PDF document

For more information, please contact Broadcast Chair, Sandra Coyer, coyers@gmail.com.