WJEA

Cleveland students speak about journalism, student press rights at Seattle School Board meeting Dec. 6

Seattle Public Schools

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sandra Coyer

Senior editors Tina Dang and Jay Kent addressed the Seattle School Board this week to share the success of the Cleveland Publications program last year as well as their recent First Place newspaper spread award by the NSPA.

Kent spoke about the importance of student press rights, telling the school board that part of the reason for their success comes from their supportive administrative team.

“[They] allow the journalism team to work as a separate entity to the school, investigating and printing whatever students are passionate about or interested in,” Kent said. “Even if a story may not have the kindest things to say about the administrative team. ”

Kent went on to explain the lessons of accountability and accuracy student journalists at Cleveland experience because of the lack of prior review and restraint from the administration.

“Because of this freedom of speech that our administration grants us, Cleveland’s student journalists are able to communicate and express the viewpoints of the school’s students with passion and honesty, leading to a more powerful paper and a more engaged student body,” Kent said.

You can see the rest of both Dang and Kent’s remarks in the video.