View testimony on student expression bill

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kylie Charney-Harrington, editor of Timberline's Blazer, testifies as Mountlake Terrace's Hawkeye adviser, Vince DeMiero, looks on. (Photo by Dan Hiestand)

Thanks to everybody who came to Olympia on Thursday, Jan. 21, to testify in support of the Student Freedom of Expression Bill. We are still waiting for the Senate Education Committee’s vote. If approved, the bill will move next to the Rules Committee.

Kylie Charney-Harrington (pictured), editor-in-chief of the Blazer newsmagazine at Timberline High School in Lacey, told the committee that even though she would be the one sued for the newspaper’s content, she understands that her principal may feel anxious when the paper comes out.

Nevertheless, “students deserve the information that is already talked about in the dark corners of social media, we deserve to have that covered in a responsible and multi-faceted way.”

You can hear her full testimony, and that of several other students and advisers, here: http://www.tvw.org/watch/?eventID=2016010208. Discussion and testimony on Senate Bill 6233 begins at about the 18:15 mark in the video.

It’s not too late to comment on the bill. Read the bill online (click “Original Bill”), then tell the Senate why it’s important (click “Comment on this bill.”) Not sure what to say? Read Hawkeye adviser Vince DeMiero’s letter, The Case for Freedom of Expression Legislation, for inspiration. Your students should comment, too!

Let’s make sure Washington state is among the leading states in supporting freedom of speech and protecting advisers. Eight states have passed similar legislation, most recently North Dakota last year. Legislation is pending in several others.

We’ll continue to post updates as we get them. Here’s to 45 words!