07 editorial cartooning
:: Category 07: Editorial Cartooning ::
HOW IT WORKS
You will either listen to a presentation of no more than 30 minutes followed by a 15-minute question-and-answer period, or you will be given several pieces of information to read on a controversial topic. You are to draw an editorial cartoon according to the instructions given by the moderator. You will have 70 minutes of designing and drawing time to complete the final entry.
WHAT THE JUDGES WANT TO SEE
A simple and clear editorial statement; evidence of artistic ability; a novel approach; absence of trite and melodramatic imagery; wit; effective conveyance of a message to a student audience; quality of drawing; simplicity of line.
MATERIALS WJEA WILL PROVIDE
Fact sheet, assignment sheet, rule sheet, final copy cover sheet, blank paper for drawing, paper clips or stapler.
MATERIALS YOU, THE CONTESTANT, SHOULD BRING
Drawing tools such as pencil and eraser, black pen and white-out, rulers, scratch paper, print dictionary/thesaurus, etc.
NOTE: We regret that no electronics may be used in this contest, including phones, tablets or laptops.
REMEMBER: Stay in the room during the contest. If anyone leaves the room before his/her entry is submitted to the contest moderator, the entry may be disqualified. No contestant will be given additional time, regardless of the state the work is in at that time.
- write your contestant number on each page of your entry;
- write legibly and correct errors VERY neatly and clearly;
- prepare entries according to fact sheet and instructions given by the moderator;
- ask the moderator any questions;
- turn off phones.
- write your name or your school’s name on your entry;
- leave the room until you have turned in your entry;
- use electronics;
- consume food or drink;
- talk to other contestants.