The official site of the Washington Journalism Education Association

WJEA

View testimony on student expression bill

Kylie Charney-Harrington, editor of Timberline's Blazer, testifies as Mountlake Terrace's Hawkeye adviser, Vince DeMiero, looks on. (Photo by Dan Hiestand)

Thanks to everybody who came to Olympia on Thursday, Jan. 21, to testify in support of the Student Freedom of Expression Bill. We are still waiting for the Senate Education Committee’s vote. If approved, the bill will move next to the Rules Committee.

Kylie Charney-Harrington (pictured), editor-in-chief of the Blazer newsmagazine at Timberline High School in Lacey, told the committee that even though she would be the one sued for the newspaper’s content, she understands that her principal may feel anxious when the paper comes out.

Nevertheless, “students deserve the information that is already talked about in the dark corners of social media, we deserve to have that covered in a responsible and multi-faceted way.”

You can hear her full testimony, and that of several other students and advisers, here: http://www.tvw.org/watch/?eventID=2016010208. Discussion and testimony on Senate Bill 6233 begins at about the 18:15 mark in the video.

It’s not too late to comment on the bill. Read the bill online (click “Original Bill”), then tell the Senate why it’s important (click “Comment on this bill.”) Not sure what to say? Read Hawkeye adviser Vince DeMiero’s letter, The Case for Freedom of Expression Legislation, for inspiration. Your students should comment, too!

Let’s make sure Washington state is among the leading states in supporting freedom of speech and protecting advisers. Eight states have passed similar legislation, most recently North Dakota last year. Legislation is pending in several others.

We’ll continue to post updates as we get them. Here’s to 45 words!

2 Comments

2 Responses to “View testimony on student expression bill”

1. John Bowen on January 17th, 2016 6:49 am

Passage of this bill is essential for the continued growth and development of student attitudes toward and involvement in our democracy. Students, our future voters, must know our constitution applies to them, too. Student free expression also continues the educational growth of students as it enables them to practice what they are taught and to learn critical thinking, decision-making and responsibility skills. Passage of this bill would be a win-win for all involved.

[Reply]

2. Fern Valentine on January 18th, 2016 9:20 am

Washington needs to join the states that guarantee students in publication classes have the unique opportunity to learn by researching any topic of interest to their fellow students, especially if they have to research ethical and legal aspects involved in the story. Publications whose content is controlled by the administration deprives the students of this opportunity. This bill also makes the students and not the school responsible for the content of the publications. Students pay attention to lessons about the legal and ethical issues involved in publishing when they are in charge. Please support this bill.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• View testimony on student expression bill

Scholarships and Awards

Cleveland senior wins journalism scholarship

Scholarships and Awards

2017 Critique Service open now

showcase

WJEA J-Day

showcase

WJEA to sponsor Adobe software training

#WJEACamp

Summer Workshop Registration is Open

showcase

Ballard High School Scores Well at National Convention

showcase

Washington Student Journalists Score Well at Convention

showcase

Day of Doing- Seattle 2017

showcase

Two Teachers Receive Top Honors

• WJEA News

Exercise your journalism muscle